Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby Blocks and Salt Dough



My friend Stephanie did all the work for the Salt Dough Ornaments! She made the dough, she cut them and baked them for us. Max and I got to do the fun part PAINT!! We have several more that we can finish this week :)



I am making wooden blocks for my new nephew coming in April. This will be my sister in law's 5th child and she HOME SCHOOLS!! She gets my vote for Mom of the year for sure. So I thought I would make the baby a special gift so here is my attempt at a tutorial.
You need wooden blocks, scrap book paper, sandpaper, Mod Podge, paint and a paint brush.
1. Cut the paper just slightly smaller than the block.

2. Sand all the blocks and sand edges.



3. Mod Podge the block and put the paper on top.

4. Mod Podge over the top of the paper let dry 15-20 minutes



5. Sand down any imperfections and the edges.

6. I used a gold paint but I think a white might have worked better. I used the gold b/c some of the paper had a gold gloss a brown would have worked too. just paint around the edges giving the block and antiquie look.


7. Wait for it to dry -so I painted more salt dough ornaments with the excess gold paint.


8. Finally Mod Podge the total block let dry and DONE :)
These are a nice handmade gift to give any Mommy. I was also going to put letters on the blocks but the paper I got was very busy. I may try that next time :)

5 comments:

Bridget said...

The blocks look so cool...I think they are great without the letters! That is a lot of work!!!

Maura said...

really neat - you guys are so crafty!!!

Tara said...

WOW! Those blocks are adorable! I want some! I will steal that idea for Carol's baby. I love the salt dough ornaments too! I remember sneaking those ornaments off the christmas tree as a little kid and hiding them in my room and just sucking on them. I loved the salty taste. Am I weird or what?

Molly said...

I love these! So cute!

Erica said...

I love the little blocks!