Saturday, May 23, 2009

A few of her favorite things

Lately I don't know what to do with myself so...I have cooked and I am wearing gobs of my sister's jewelry. Yesterday, I slept alot and felt sorry for myself almost like if I laughed or enjoyed anything I would feel guilty (she wouldn't have wanted me to live this way). Today, I awoke to a different attitude. I made some food that we made together the last time I saw her. She told me these were her favorite. Thank you to the Two Curly Tops who gave me these recipes- first was the Vegetable Lasagna (sorry didn't get pictures) but we made it together, it was funny and it was delish.
Then, I made the caramel brownies they were a huge hit so much so she went home and made them for Mom and Tara and it may have actually been the first dessert she had ever baked. So, today with a breathe of life and a realization that it is OK to laugh and she would want me too-- I made this food and I drink cheap wine.

This also helped me today:

APPROACH EACH NEW DAY with desire to find Me. Before you get out of bed, I have already been working to prepare the path that will get you through this day. There are hidden treasures strategically placed along the way. Some of the treasures are trials, designed to shake you free from earthly-shackles. Others are blessings that reveal My Presence: sunshine, flowers, birds, friendships, answered prayer. I have not abandoned this sin wracked world ; I am still richly present in it.

Colossians 2:2-3

We miss you Brie

6 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I still wear mom's jewelry and make the foods she loved and made. It helps. Still thinking of you all.

Tara said...

This is perfect, Michaela. I think it is good to move forward, but I share your little pangs of guilt when I enjoy myself too much. I know Brie would not want any of us to feel this way, but it is also hard to learn how to exist without her. But we will, and we will find ways to keep her close to us and her memory alive. Gosh, those brownies she made were so decadent and delicious. I know she was so proud that she made them. She enjoyed her time with you so much. She also enjoyed making fun of Twilight (and my scary love of the books and movie) with you. Teehee.

Michaela said...

I have to buy that movie now! We laughed and laughed it was so funny to us.

Mary said...

Amen! I am so glad that you and Tara are able to smile a little now.

Molly said...

Hang in there. Glad you are finding so many ways to remember and celebrate Brie.

Mary said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I am horrible about posting and I wasn't sure how to respond to your comment so I decided to leave it here. Thank you about my kids they are pretty adorable. You youngest and my 2 year old are not to far apart. I can't believe your other boys they are so handsome! I love ready your blog and seeing what you have been up to and all your new food adventures!