Saturday, February 7, 2009

becoming vegetarian ?!?

Lately I have been having gallbladder issues (anyone else)! Tara, Mom and several of my friends have already had theirs removed and I am just trying to avoid surgery! So I have been doing research- over the past few months I have been doing cleanses. This fast cleans out my gallbladder but after few weeks I start feeling bad again. I had an gallbladder flare up (I call it) a couple days ago and I did more research- well, the meat we eat we take in that cholesterol (chemicals and whatever else) which is building up in my gallbladder. I eat meat at almost every meal!! It feels like if we don't get our meat we will not get any protein. I don't know why I think this, I worked at Wild Oats for 3 years I should have learned then!! Gregg is happy with this as he was a vegetarian earlier in his life. The boys are having a harder time with it, but there are so many cool options that I think they will end up liking it. This is going to really challenge me in the kitchen. Last night we had red beans and rice (instead of our normal ham and beans) I must say I liked it better! This may just be a phase (says my hubby) but I am going to try it. We will still have eggs and cheese and some milk in our diet (I am not vegan)but I am planning on cutting out all other meat products and see how my body likes it! Gregg's body may like it too as he has had high blood pressure since the surgery.





I love having all these fresh fruits and veggies :) My grocery bill was about the same as usual, so the fake meat wasn't that much more expensive. Aunt Tara do you have any good recipes from your vegetarian days?We have done this for exactly 2 days and I am feeling really good so we will see...

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow...look at all of that produce!!! Be sure to pass on any good recipes you find!

Molly said...

I like to see all those fresh veggies too! I hope this makes you feel better!

Tara said...

I have tons of great recipes. Being a vegetarian is the easiest thing in the world - you will love it and hopefully, you will feel better!

Maura said...

I'm glad the new increased veggies/decreased meat is helping you feel better. I think I need to try cutting down my meat intake...