Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tortilla soup


Last summer when I was in Tulsa, Tara shared her crock pot tortilla soup. It was soo good it became one of our regular meals. We ate it all the time b/c it was so easy to make and b/c it was delish! Well with this vegetarian thing- I can't use the chicken that is called for in the recipe so... I replaced it with the fake ground beef and soyrizo.
I cooked the soyrizo on high until browned-it added wonderful flavor!! Normally you would just add2-3 frozen chicken breasts. I change this recipe all the time according to what I have on hand so here is what it was yesterday
1 c. fake ground beef
1/2 package soyrizo (browned)
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 green pepper
1 tomato
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can enchilada sauce (check to make sure ingredients some have MSG)
1 can green chili's
1 can of corn (I use frozen corn)
1 can chicken broth (I used vegetable juice and a little water)
1 tsp white pepper
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
sprinkle of salt
Dice up all veggies and mix everything into the crock pot. Let all this simmer on low all day 6-8 hours. We top it with cheese, chips, sour cream, cilantro or whatever you like! Last night Gregg and I just ate it with a whole grain bread. It was so good! Thank you Aunt Tara for this recipe -I know I have changed it from the original hope you don't mind :)

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Mmmm...this sounds great, with or without the soyrizo! :) I can't wait to try it!

Tara said...

Looks good, Michaela. I love this recipe and love how easy it is to make.

Mom said...

great idea for the veggie meal. We will have to try it.